Joe,

very good point (and even better practice).

However, this requires discipline. We all have weaknesses and it is quite
normal that with time the dedicated computer becomes less than dedicated. If
you can control this, that is great. If you were a marine instrument vendor,
you could not rely on users’ discipline for not having any conflicts or
stability issues with other apps or applications. I hope that this sounds like
I am agreeing with you (because I am).

One of the issues is that many of us don’t really need any of the navigation
devices that we have, use or want to have. Most of us sail in the same waters
for years, so we know most of the hazards by heart. As someone mentioned, we
probably sail within 100 miles from the home port (at best). A handheld GPS for
$150 is enough or probably even too much for what we really need. This is why
we don’t care that much if the chart on the tablet is not overly reliable (sun
light, water, s/w glitches), because in a pinch, we can easily find our way
without it. A tablet with navigation software is a great gadget and it comes at
a very reasonable cost (especially, if you bought the tablet already) and it
can handle additional tasks (movies, music, business apps, games). But for a
while yet I do not see it as replacement for the dedicated marine instrument.

A disclosure: I am a gadget guy; I have a few tablets, 1/2 dozen laptops and a
whole bunch of various GPS devoices. I even ski and bike with a GPS, but not
because I need to, only because I want to. So it is not that I don’t like
tablets, I do, but I don’t subscribe to the idea that they are much more than
what they are: very nice and somewhat useful gadgets.

Marek

Message: 9