From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Edd
Schillay
Sent: March 7, 2014 10:27 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Now Boat Names

Dwight,

            Initially, I was very enthusiastic about owning a
keel/centerboard model - better pointing upwind, less drag downwind. The
process of lowering and raising the board is quiet and it's great to have
some control over how much you can have down there depending on wind
strength - Then, I joined this list and heard some horror stories about the
cable breaking and the board doing (uninsured) damage to the keel.

            So each year, I have my bottom cleaners lower the board and
check the cable. So far, each year (8 years running), they have said it was
fine, but I dread the day where I have to replace the cable ($$$).

            Now that I'm transitioning to a more cruising-oriented sailing
lifestyle, I have been playing with the idea of just glassing it over,
forcing it to always remain in the up position and never having to inspect
or maintain the cable again.

                    All the best,

                    Edd

                    Edd M. Schillay