Lumens are only one factor among many.  Beam width is also a
consideration.  Lots of lumens in a wide beam may illuminate deck,
lifelines, etc. and blind the user.  A less powerful but more focused
narrow beam may reflect less from the boat but may be less valuable in
finding marks.

For instance, here's a powerful spotlight:

<
http://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-46865-15-million-candlepower-hid-handheld-spotlight-16-ccord-w-cigarette-plug.aspx

If you fired that thing up and tried to use it, you would probably destroy
your night vision for a week.

Glare reduction is also a factor.  The Optronics Blue Eye claims glare
reduction technology.  However, it gets bad reviews for the cord being
stiff and not extending.

So far the Streamlite Waypoint looks good but might not be a huge
improvement over my existing plain Jane big box spotlight.

I continue to explore lights with the newer LED technologies such as the
Cree LEDs.

I welcome any more comments and suggestions.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA