Subject: Stus-List Prop adjustments and cruising speeds
Sent: Mar 15, 2014 12:54 PM
From: Jim Lynch <lynchja...@comcast.net>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com

I'm the happy new owner of an old 38-2, and I'm wondering if there is
something wrong with my propeller or its pitch. It's a fixed three-blade
on a Westerbeke 27 four-cylinder diesel.
At 3,000 RPMs it only pushes the boat along at 6.0 knots. Seems like too
much exertion for too little return, doesn't it? The engine is strong,
the bottom is freshly painted and the boat is not carrying much extra
weight. With a hull speed over 7 knots, shouldn't it be chugging along
at 6.5 knots or more at 2,500 RPMs?

I'd really appreciate any insights from owners of old 38s, as well as
those of you who've seen the benefits of prop changes and pitch
adjustments for both powering and sailing.

Thanks,

Jim Lynch
Olympia, WA
38-2