  From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com]On Behalf Of Alan Bergen
  Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:38 AM
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Prop adjustments and cruising speeds

  When I selected a prop for my boat, I first determined what maximum diameter
I could use that would give me about a two inch clearance from the tip of the
prop to the hull bottom.  Then I selected a pitch that would allow the engine
to run at max (or close to max) rated RPM while motoring underway at full
throttle.  If you can run the engine higher than max rated RPM, your prop is
under-pitched.  If you can't reach max rated RPM, you are over-pitched.  An
over-pitched prop puts too much stress on the engine.  An under-pitched prop
won't damage the engine as long as you don't run it past max rated RPM (80% is
ideal), but you won't get maximum speed from your boat.

  Alan Bergen

  35 Mk III Thirsty

  Rose City YC

  Portland, OR