A whisker pole should be 80 percent of the length of the LP of your largest
headsail. For my 38, that calculates out to about 20' based on a J dimension a
bit over 16'.

Be careful that the whisker pole is of a diameter appropriate for your boat. I
think Forespar has a recommendation for pole diameter by boat length. A friend
bought a pole for his boat that was small diameter, and he folded the pole one
day when sailing downwind in a chop and the end of the pole dipped into the
water.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad