I have heard that engine coolant passages can get clogged or thermostat
stuck.  Did the over temp switch get changed when the hex was added?  Did
you check the switch for proper ops?  IR point and shoot thermometers are
cheap.  I would shoot some temps to verify overtemp.

Just my $0.02,

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
Solomons, MD