Frank — just so I understand: your 3QM is overheating?  Does the engine run
well otherwise?  Before you go to all the trouble and expense of re-powering,
find a really good diesel guy to look at your engine.

I had a great guy do some work on my 3QM a few years back, and he told me the
engines were originally built for hard, continuous use (industrial compressors
and the like), and if properly maintained, they should last a very long time in
a sailboat.

I did find an issue with mine overheating a couple of seasons back.  Because
the fresh water heat exchanger is mounted to the engine at an angle, you can
check the fluid level when the engine is off, and it will appear that the
coolant level is fine.  But with the engine running (and cool, so you don’t get
burned), pull the fill cap and you’ll see that the system needs more coolant;
it settles to the bottom end of the heat exchanger where the cap is when the
pump isn’t running.  You can also see if there’s much coolant running with the
cap off.

Other possible things to do: check the coolant pump impeller; rod out the
passages in the heat exchanger; make sure you’ve got plenty of raw (sea) water
running through; check the exhaust mixing elbow for build-up.

And I’m sure other listers will add to this.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis