If I install any Linux based OS is that equivalent to reformatting the hard
drive.  I mean will I lose my MS Office applications and adobe etc if I do
that.  If I make a separate partition for the Linux OS will I be able to
access applications in the Windows XP partition with it?  I have lots of
hard drive space available.  What is the difference between Linux mint
versions and Ubuntu?

I do important things like banking on my ipad or iphone using iOS7 but I do
most email and surfing on my XP machine. I like a full size QWERTY keypad
for typing and I like my large monitor and wired mouse control.

Is anyone aware of any reports of people getting hacked because they are
still using Windows XP?  I know quite a few internet users who are still
running on Windows XP and personally I have not heard of any issues yet.  I
update my anti virus software regularly and that software tells me that I am
protected and I do full systems scans every day, does that help at all?

Marek, do you know if I will affect anything by uninstalling all java
programs using add/remove from control panel?

  _____