FWIW, All of our docks have fingers that are 35 long by approximately 16 wide.
There is a 60 foot fairway between each set of docks. That is 171% of nominal
boat length. We have put sailboats as long as 38 into the 35 foot slips (about
160%) with little or no problems.

Trawlers and single engine power boats are less maneuverable that most
sailboats, so have more problems using slips down the fairway.

Small runabout powerboats are worse yet, but principally because the drivers
only seem to know two power settings - neutral or Full throttle.

Surprisingly, the worst case is a Magregor 26 with a 50 hp motor, who can't get
into his slip no way unless he puts the daggerboard down all the way. Without
the board down, when you turn the engine off center the boat just slips
sideways like a flat bottomed dinghy instead of turning. We generally have the
skipper come up the fairway and throw us a line, then we pull him into his slip
by hand.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad