Tim:

It's important to know the force being applied, not the pressure. Force is
equal to pressure multiplied by the area of the hydraulic cylinder, and all
cylinders are not the same. There's a Navtec manual on the photoalbum web site.
Find out which hydraulic cylinder you have, and look up the cylinder's area in
the Navtec manual. The C&C 35 uses #10 rod, with a breaking strength of 10,300
lbs. Recommended preload limit is 25% - 33% of breaking strength, or 2600 -
3,400 lbs. Absolute preload limit is 40% of breaking strength or 4,100 lbs. You
can use these numbers to figure out the recommended and maximum pressures based
on your cylinder size. You can also order a free, force ring label from Navtec
to apply to your hydraulic gauge. Remember to specify cylinder size when
ordering the Force ring label.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

Hi all 35-3 racers (and others with hydraulics), how much do you tension your
backstay to get an acceptably straight forestay in 20-25kts? We were racing in
that last night and our forestay was way looser than I wanted with the backstay
at 2000psi (2 on the hydraulic panel). I have never gone above this before (1.8
seemed to be plenty for most conditions last year), but wondered what others
maxed out at.

I think the backstay is -10 rod with associated cylinder and we have a navtec
panel that manages both backstay and vang.

Thanks,

Tim
Mojito
C&C 35-3