I use a high quality climbing descender attached to the boom and a 3/4" line
attached to two quick release snap shackles on port and starboard. If you end
up jibing, the descender allows the boom to move over in a very controlled
manner almost in slow motion. This is basically a cheap version of the
commercially available boom breaks.

Cheers,
Aaron R.
1979 30-MK1