Steve, the break between the Mk1 and Mk2 is a total mystery to me. I own Hull
#100 which was built in 1976 while Rick Brass has hull #47 built sometime in
1975? All evidence indicates that my boat is a Mk2 while Rick's is a Mk1. I
have been on both boats and I'll be darned if I can find any difference and in
my opinion there is no difference. My guess is that C&C didn't like the
measurement certificate for the early boats and decided to call the next years
boat a Mk2 to get the boat remeasured (just a stab in the dark guess though).
Keep in mind that the 38 was designed as a large 1 tonner and the Mk1 was rated
slightly above the cut off. I have also noticed that the brochures on the the
website do not make any distinction in the different years. Various sources
list different dimensions for the beam measurement, and again I can't spot it
between the two boats. I suspect that is due to measuring the beam on deck
(narrower) versus the overall beam (wider). Some of the sources list the Mk1 as
being 6" narrower but that is about the amount of tumblehome in the sides. PHRF
also rates them the same.
James
S/V Delaney
1976 C&C 38