Kevin:

The first thing to try is to clean the battery post and terminals with a
wire brush. Auto parts stores have an inexpensive brush that works on the
post and terminals. If there is no improvement, your push button switch may
be building up corrosion across the switch such that mere operation of the
switch the second or 3rd time cleans enough corrosion that contact is made.
Try, with the ignition switch off, pushing the button multiple times as
this may clean the switch. Depending on how the push button switch is made,
you may be able to open it up and clean the contacts. Disconnect and remove
the switch 1st.  If none of the above works, replace the push button switch.

Ed
Briar Patch C&C 34
New Orleans, La.