I own my first diesel-powered sailboat after many years of dealing with the
headaches and expenses of outboards on smaller sailboats.

Safety issues aside, I do have to say I am in awe of diesels. My Yanmar 2GM20F
is, hands down, the most reliable and easy-to-maintain engine I have ever
encountered on land or water.

I hired a guy to spend two hours showing me how to maintain the engine. I’ve
been able to do almost everything myself since then. I’ve had one breakdown in
five years, at first thought to be the fuel pump, but later found to be a
poorly installed vent line on the fuel tank.

Contrast that with those @#$%%^ outboards, with impossible-to-reach impellers,
tiny cooling channels that always clog, cranky carburetors, spark plugs that
foul regularly, etc., and there is no comparison.

Never had an A4, but I’ve always been impressed by the comments of their
defenders. However, I’m skeptical that they come close to the reliability and
performance of diesels.

Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25
Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30