Certainly move the lead all the way outboard if you can still trim the sail
with it there. You'll open up the slot and the boat will stand up better.
I think I'd be inclined to err on the side of too much sail on a reach in order
to power through the lulls.
Ease the back stay a bit, which also opens the slot, and ease the jib halyard
to keep the draft far enough aft when the headstay is slack.
Maybe a little less vang on the main to match the twist in the genoa and keep
the telltales flying. Then have your crew hike hard and trim the sails
constantly while you drive arrow-straight.

Andy
Peregrine
C&C 40
(currently Portland Maine beginning a cruise)

Andrew Burton
61 W Narragansett
Newport, RI
USA    02840