Hello all

I was taking my summer hiatus from the list but something has come up…

For financial reasons I had delayed new sails this winter.  Just too many other
projects going on.  Browsing Bacon’s listings I came across a jib (130%) which
is virtually new.  Dimensions are near perfect, luff tape is the correct size,
suncover is on the correct side and even the right color.  I know Bacon well
and have no concerns there.  Here’s the rub…

The sail is listed as a “cruise laminate” by Quantum.  Again I have no concerns
with either of those pieces of information.  Would love to know what the the
laminate is but that information is not available.  Assume some blend of
polyester, mylar and something for strength.  My concern is that cloth weight
is listed as 4.75 ounce.  This for a 40’ boat with a tall rig.  Even by Long
Island Sound standards that seems terribly light.  Price is now down to just
over 1/3 the price of a new sail.  Any thoughts?

John