John,

The Quantum cruising laminate that they sell now has alight layer of dacron
to add UV protection to the mylar film.  I could look at it for you, but I
am a lousy judge of old sails.  The weight is probably the weight of the
dacron and has nothing to do with strength.

Joel

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014, John Pennie via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I was taking my summer hiatus from the list but something has come up…
>
> For financial reasons I had delayed new sails this winter.  Just too many
> other projects going on.  Browsing Bacon’s listings I came across a jib
> (130%) which is virtually new.  Dimensions are near perfect, luff tape is
> the correct size, suncover is on the correct side and even the right color.
>  I know Bacon well and have no concerns there.  Here’s the rub…
>
> The sail is listed as a “cruise laminate” by Quantum.  Again I have no
> concerns with either of those pieces of information.  Would love to know
> what the the laminate is but that information is not available.  Assume
> some blend of polyester, mylar and something for strength.  My concern is
> that cloth weight is listed as 4.75 ounce.  This for a 40’ boat with a tall
> rig.  Even by Long Island Sound standards that seems terribly light.  Price
> is now down to just over 1/3 the price of a new sail.  Any thoughts?
>
> John

Joel
301 541 8551