I'm surprised at the need to rebuild two or three times per year. The head ate
in my 38 has just been rebuilt for the second time in the 11 years I've owned
her.

This rebuild was because the piston seal was worn, and the pump would loose
prime and operate slowly. When I installed the new service kit ( which was
close to $85) I found out that the pump housing was leaking because of a couple
of cracks in the lands where the screws go to hold the pump pieces together -
so there was not sufficient force to make a good seal.

I installed a new complete pump assembly from the boat spares ( I had picked
one up from some former cruisers at a nautical yard sail ), but when I went to
order a new pump housing for spares I found it to be NLA, and the complete
valve is almost $200. That's more that a new Raritan head.

So I guess I'll get another 4 or 5 years out of the current valve and one
rebuild kit I have on the boat. And the I will plan on installing a new head.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad