When you first set the pole and start on your downwind run you should find
that one of the jibsheets (lazy jibsheet) is forward of the topping lift
and over the pole.  When you jibe you probably don't pickup the working jib
sheet and duck the pole under before making the new guy.  When you throw
off the old guy make sure you also throw off old lazysheet.  Now make the
newly empty pole end on the mast.

You should now find that the entire setup is swapped to the other side.
The trouble I foresee is that the jib sheets tend to be pretty tight to
keep the headsail furled.  This makes pole maneuvers difficult.  This
requires easing and making of the jibsheets alternavatively.

Or you could pull the jibsheets forward and out of the way and avoid the
hole mess.  You would miss a few seconds of overlap during sail changes.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD