I have a cored hull under the waterline. No problems. The bow, stern, keel area, and every place that could get damaged in a collision are solid glass. The comment about C&C knowing how to build cored hulls is true. IMHO, most of the horror stories are really about power boats with cored hulls that delaminate after slamming into chop at high speeds. If you actually get holed amidships under the waterline then the hull composition will be the least of your worries.

The comment about encapsulated keels is also right on the money. I used to spend a lot of time hanging out in boat yards, and the repair efforts I've seen border on the absurd. The most interesting was one guy who drilled holes into the keel every 2 inches and spent a month draining it and drying it, then another month packing it with thick epoxy. Then the boat sat there for four months while the guy reconciled with his wife, and the boat was eventually hauled off. That was right up there with the guy with a ferrocement hull who thought he could somehow replace the rusted out steel reinforcement.

Wal