From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Hoyt, Mike
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 10:21 AM
To: mcrom...@bell.blackberry.net; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List dummy move and followup question

Our new to us boat came with a Furuno GP31 GPS and external antenna with the
GPS mounted in Nav Station.  Helm had a much newer Garmin 740.  We decided to
replace Furuno with a new Raymarine MFD chartplotter at Nav Station.  The
antenna was still in place.

I had posted the Furuno on Kijiji and have an interested buyer.
Unfortunately now that we have a liveable interior we also have headliners etc
which are one of the biggest curses on a sailboat.  While attempting to remove
the Antenna I had the cable removed for about half its length after removing
way to many access panels but it was stuck somewhere in the nether reaches of
the boat.  One slightly too aggressive tug and I now have an antenna with two
pieces of cable (much easier to remove by the way).

So I have been reading about splicing GPS antenna cables.  This one is Coax
style and there has been a lot of information that BNC ends and a barrel
connector will work.  Does anyone (especially Fred) have experience and advice
on this?  I think I may have just reduced my selling price to zero and may be
making a gift of the unit to the potential buyer

Mike