I have found for years that the contact in the push button switch can
become, for lack of technical terms, corroded and will not pass current on
the first push. That push and subsequent ones cleans the contact enough for
current to pass to the solenoid starting the engine. The symptoms appear
after the switch has not been used for a length of time or the switch is
old. Start testing the switch first before you work to the solenoid.
Switches are relatively inexpensive.

Ed
C&C 34 Briar Patch
New Orleans