From: Marek Dziedzic [mailto:dziedzi...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 11:56 AM
To: Burt Stratton; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Running Lights >Approved LED bulbs

It is kind of funny how a “steaming light” can many people confused.

The main point is that a sailboat is a sailboat and boat under power, depending
on its current situation at the time (if the engine is running, it is a power
boat, if it is not running, it is a sailboat (the actual term is “in use” (not
“engine running”), but from what I read so far, if your engine is running and
you are simply out of gear, you would be still considered “under power”)).

The lights configuration has to reflect what you are.

A sailboat (let’s not dwell on the length at this point) needs the side lights
(red and green) and the stern light (white).

A power boat needs the same side lights and an all around white light.

How you accomplish the above is up to you (or the boat manufacturer).

The most common approach is to have an extra “steaming light” that closes the
circle  - your stern light plus the steaming light provide full 360 degrees
white light. This way you have one switch to turn your sailing lights (side and
stern) and another one to turn the steaming light, when you turn on the engine.

Another option is to have a full circle white light (e.g. on top of the mast)
and use your side and stern lights when sailing and the side lights and the
full circle white light when under power. This requires to have a separate
switch for your stern light (and of course one for the full circle light),
because if you use full circle light, you have to switch your stern light off.

You cannot repeat any prescribed light so, if you have tricolour on the top of
the mast, you cannot use the side (bow) lights or vice versa.

People who sail off shore tend to put a tricolour on the top of the mast for a
number of reasons. One is that it is only one bulb (instead of three). Another
is that, especially with some waves, the deck level lights are not visible from
afar. My personal experience is that you cannot see them from more then two
wavelength away. But you cannot use the tricolour AND the deck level lights at
the same time.

People who sail in-shore or in coastal water would say that a light at the
masthead is of no use, because nobody looks that high up. Even an anchor light
at the top of the mast might be too high on some anchorages.

Interestingly, the same discussion is (was) happening at the Sailboat Owners
Forum.

Marek