FYI I use WIX on my wife's car. The guy at the parts store said WIX > Fram.

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Josh Muckley
via CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2014 8:32 PM
To: Eric Frank; C&C List
Subject: Re: Stus-List advice on oil filter brands

Are you sure you want to ask questions like this.  We're sure to have a debate.
 1, 2, 3, go!

I am pretty much sold on Amsoil and all of their products.  That being said I
still look closely at their product specs.  I have not been able to find a
better filter than OEM for my Yanmar.  In lew of Amsoil, NAPA Gold, Wix, or
Purolator Pure 1 are all competitively good.  I try to compare media type,
square inches, end plate material and method of attachment, bypass valve
pressure, valve spring design, drain back valve material and finally the burst
pressure.

I would avoid at all costs a standard fram oil filter.  Period.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
I remember a discussion about which brands of oil filters were better (and
worse).  In the days I changed the filter in my car myself, I always used Fram
because it was easy to find, but I remember from this list that was not a good
make.  Suggestions? This is for a 1980's Perkins 30 HP diesel, probably less
than 20 hours per year.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II