Pegathy has an HM35F, which is supposed to rate 35 hp. It was installed in the
mid 90's and has about 2700 hrs. Still runs very well - started right up in
freezing weather when I had her hauled two weeks ago. She's configured with the
OEM nav station starboard. There's access in the front, after removing the
panels, one of which has four built in drawers which need to be removed first.
There's an ~9"x18" door on the port side well into the q-berth, and starboard
access from the lazarette in the cockpit. Once you empty the lazarette, panels
come out and it's wide open - provided you've wedged your body (or hang your
torso) in the lazarette - which does have a flat floor board to crouch on. I
and even I, circumferentially challenged, old and inflexible as I am, can get
in, but it ain't pretty.

There's an access port cut in the bottom of Pegathy's cockpit above the oil
filler cap. That makes things easier, else you need a hose on the funnel to add
oil or coolant. Checking the oil requires emptying all the crap from the
q-berth, removing the cushions to get the door off, putting on a head lamp, and
crawling in. The oil check is on the right (that is the port) side of the
engine because the v-drive requires they put the engine in backwards. Changing
belts, water pumps, or alternator at the stern end of the engine, which is
actually the front, is done from the lazarette or the q-berth, depending on
which belt or whatever. It's doable, just a pain relative to having them at the
companionway.  The v-drive is on the forward end (back) of the engine, so
aligning the shaft and checking the transmission oil are easier.
So the answer is ...... you actually can get to everything you need, even
change belts in a seaway, but it's usually twice the work or more. That said,
how often do you change belts? Answer: 4 raw water pump belts and 1 alternator
belt on the trip from Ft. Lauderdale, where I bought her, to Baltimore. Not one
more in three seasons since the pulleys were smoothed, but with way less total
hours than the Florida trip. We'll see when I take her to New England next
spring.
I didn't and wouldn't let the access issue stop me from buying the boat. She
sails like a dream, and is shoal draft (~5') for the Chesapeake, very
comfortable, very stable, and quite dry. And I like a boat with less freeboard
that keeps me closer to the water. I like to pet the dolphins (yup, did that).

Dan SheerPegathy - C&C LF 38Rock Creek off the Patapsco