In my opinion its not all that bad.  There is a lot of access through the
starboard cockpit locker for changing the solenoid/starter, oil filter, air
filter, and v-belts.  The panel between the cockpit locker and the engine is
removable.  Getting to the water pump to change the impeller was difficult so I
installed much longer inlet and outlet hoses so that I can pull the water pump
out into the port quarter berth without even disconnecting the hoses--this was
a big improvement for changing the rubber impellers.

Putting oil in the crankcase is a challenge since the headroom between the top
of the engine and the lower surface of the cockpit deck is very limited but
adding oil can be done--its usually only done once per year for most of us.

I don't have maintenance experience on many boats but my Landfall 38 has much
better engine access than my Sabre 28 had for sure.

Bob Boyer
S/V Rainy Days / Annapolis MD
1983 C&C Landfall 38 - Hull #230
email: dainyr...@icloud.com
blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com

"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply
messing about in boats."  --Kenneth Grahame