A previous owner of my LF-38 made up some pvc pipe extensions (one for oil, one
for coolant) for use when filling.  They mean that you can fill from the
quarter berth, rather than directly over the engine.
 Henry Reeve, LF-38 Lone Star
      From: Robert Boyer via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: "cnc-list@cnc-list.com" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:06 AM
 Subject: Stus-List List LF38 engine access - how bad is it really?

In my opinion its not all that bad.  There is a lot of access through the
starboard cockpit locker for changing the solenoid/starter, oil filter, air
filter, and v-belts.  The panel between the cockpit locker and the engine is
removable.  Getting to the water pump to change the impeller was difficult so I
installed much longer inlet and outlet hoses so that I can pull the water pump
out into the port quarter berth without even disconnecting the hoses--this was
a big improvement for changing the rubber impellers.
Putting oil in the crankcase is a challenge since the headroom between the top
of the engine and the lower surface of the cockpit deck is very limited but
adding oil can be done--its usually only done once per year for most of us.
I don't have maintenance experience on many boats but my Landfall 38 has much
better engine access than my Sabre 28 had for sure.

Bob BoyerS/V Rainy Days / Annapolis MD1983 C&C Landfall 38 - Hull #230email:
dainyr...@icloud.com blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply
messing about in boats."  --Kenneth Grahame