Petar:

As others have stated, there is no need to drill holes through your toerail(s) to allow water on the deck to drain overboard.....I simply tie a piece of soft 1/4' rope to the inside of the toerail with a few inches lying on the deck where the water pools and hang the outer end outside the toerail a few inches below it.....it acts as a 'wick' and removed the water lying on the deck.

By 'wicking' the water off the deck by rope or sponge, it doesn't really matter how the boat is sitting on the hard. If your boat is not covered in the winter, I think it is important to ensure your cockpit scuppers drain as they should and water is not pooling on the cockpit sole.

I would caution you about how your boat sits on its keel. I would rather have more of the weight on the forward part of the keel than the aft end.....at least that's the way my keel is shaped....the front of my keel is approx. 4" thick whereas the very aft end might be 1/2" (I haven't actually measured, just a guess).

I don't use jackstands .....I use a cradle with adjustable pads and front bunk and I can tilt my boat in any direction I choose. When it is hauled, I have a hose in the cockpit and when the water drains as it should, that is where I feel the keel is sitting properly on its wooden block underneath.

Everyone does something differently.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2014/12/22 1:12 PM, Petar Horvatic via CnC-List wrotely

Hi all, I have a question on boat stands and aft tilting of the boat while on the hard.

I find water drainage on most C&C designs to be horrible. I’ve tackled the issues many times but this one keeps coming back to haunt me.

When the boat is in water, a while back I made drain holes at what appeared to be the lowest point on deck. So when boat is properly loaded and equipped, the deck drains pretty good.

Well all that changes once the boat is out of the water as the yard props it so that everything is tilting aft. So now water collects about few feet further aft. Year after year this tilting changes based on how they setup the stands at the time of haulout. No matter what you do (I’ve drilled pilot holes in aluminum toerail), I always have submerged pulpit stanchions bases. For me these carry a significant load(solar panels, support the wind generator and 15HP outboard on pulpit mount) Well in the winter, ice works the base screws on stanchions and before you know it you get leaks and wet core.

I would love to prop the aft stands and lower the forward ones so that the boats sits more level and the water collects where my drain holes are. Has anyone done this or will doing this disturb how the keel sits on the wooden blocks?

My thought was to just prop the aft ones but then I realized that they all need to be adjusted slightly.

Petar Horvatic

Sundowner

76 C&C 38MkII

Newport, RI