Hi All,

Here's a cold day topic ...

I am aiming to compete in the 2015 Bermuda 1-2 race in my vintage C&C 33-1.
(my boat won't be the only old C&C).  My pretentions are modest -- think
Eddie the Eagle rather than Moitessier,  but I have sailed to Bermuda and
back several times and I have done the offshore qualifying run (several
times as it turns out) in my own boat.  I am now prepping the boat (new
sails, replacing Rod, optimizing autopilot, increasing solar capacity) and
acquiring the race-required safety equipment.

The most challenging and difficult-to-swallow part of this is the cost of
an offshore life raft.  Rental rates are impossible:  $1200/ for 7-14 days
and I would need at least three weeks since the return race starts two
weeks after the outbound leg.   The purchase cost of a raft ($2200 plus
ongoing recertification costs) is hard to rationalize for a single race
especially when the boat is only typically used for coastal sailing but
I'll swallow it if I have to.   However, if there is anyone out there in
C&C-land with a raft that needs re-certification, I would be happy to have
that done in return for the use (ummm, hopefully not) of the raft during
the month of June.

This will likely be the first of many questions as I prep for the race in
the coming months.

Keep warm!

David
at: