It was explained to me by an very experienced sailor that depending on boat
design the reason the stern drops is the bow begins to ride up on the bow wave.
 It was very obvious to me when I used a Honda 9.9 on my Ericson 23’.. at 5KTS
it rand true but beyond 5KTS the outboard mount started pushing water and the
faster I went up to 7KTS it covered the engine mount.  So as he told me, slow
down - if sailors really wanted to motor fast they own power boats..  made
sense to me.  So now i try to get all my speed on my C&C 26’ with my sails.

Dan

at: