Curtis,
The hook is nice to have, not need to have. I don't have one. I simply have one
line attached to the mast side (lower than the boom). The line then goes up
through the cunningham grommet, down on the other side to a block located at
mast base and then back to the cockpit to a winch through a rope clutch.

Antoine (C&C 30 Cousin)