From: "Antoine Rose via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "David Paine" <paineda...@gmail.com>, cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2015 11:44:33 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Cunningham

Hi David,

To answer your question, we need to go back a bit to the origin the cunningham.
Well, the main sail is up and properly tensioned, which mean that the halyard
point is close to the mast top block to use the full length of your mast. Wind
is light, not too much tension is needed on the halyard. As wind increases,
more is needed. Eventually, the halyard is fully tensioned but the wind still
get a bit stronger, but not enough to reef and, since you're racing you don't
want to give any water to that boat just beside yours. As the wind increases,
the sail draft moves back, increasing heeling and reducing speed. Tensioning
the cunningham does just that, bringing the draft forward for two reasons: it
increases the tensioning but also, because the cunningham grommet is slightly
aft of the sail, pull forward the main foot.

Having the grommet has another advantage. If you have a corresponding grommet
on the leach side, you can take a six inch reef (sorry, don't how it's called
in English, "ris de fond" in French). This very small reef does not reduce
substantially the size of the sail but removes much of the draft. A flatter
main points higher and reduce heeling.

Antoine (C&C 30 Cousin)