Tim;

Having the mast down twice over the last 12 years, and seeing how C&C did the
installation on my 38, it is hard to visualize how the holes in the mast would
get elongated. On my 38 the cross bolt through the mast is actually a long 3/8
diameter cap screw or shoulder bolt, so there are no threads in contact with
the mast extrusion. And the assembly is torqued down REALLY tight, so there
seems no likelihood of motion between the bolt and the mast.

My suggestion to your problem would be the following:

Get a suitable shoulder bolt or cap screw to replace the bolt you have
currently.

Make a sleeve or bushing to go over the new cross bolt. ID of the sleeve should
match the OD of the body of the bolt – i.e. 3/8 OD of bolt and 3/8 ID of
bushing.

Mark the mast with horizontal centerline of the holes in the hooks where they
contact the mast, and carefully mark the vertical centerline of the original
holes in the mast.

Use this cross as the center point of the enlarged hole you will make in your
mast with your handy dandy Dremel tool. The ID of this enlarged hole should
match the OD of your bushing stock. The tighter the fit the better.

Insert the bushing through the mast and, again using the handy dandy Dremel,
match the length and curvature of the bushing so it matches the outside surface
of the mast on each side.

You might want to permanently mount the bushing into the mast with MarineTex or
JB Weld.

Reinstall the hooks and torque the cross bolt TIGHTLY, using a NyLok  nut to
keep it from loosening.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1