After a lot of research and querying the list, I finally bought a new
searchlight for Touche'.

I bought this one:

http://store.marinebeam.com/marinebeam-ultra-long-range-cree-rlt-illuminator/

It is pretty darn phenomenal.  After using a pistol grip "Q-beam" style
light for years, it will take some getting used to.  This light is a bit
bigger and heavier than a MagLite 2 D cell flashlight.  The MarineBeam has
3 D cells.

The biggest difference is the narrow beam.  They claim it has very little
"spillover" light to reflect off lifelines, deck, shrouds, bimini frames,
etc.  I certainly remember having to hold the old searchlight outside the
lifelines in order to prevent being blinded by reflected light.  When
pointed forward, the Q-beam did, indeed, generate night vision destroying
reflected light from deck, shrouds, etc.

While I haven't tried it on the boat yet, a quick test in the neighborhood
showed very positive results.  It VERY clearly illuminated a stop sign 300
yards away.  The beam was, indeed, very narrow.  (Fortunately, my
neighborhood is fairly peaceful.  There are neighborhoods where I wouldn't
do this.)

At first I was concerned about finding buoys and day beacons with such a
narrow beam but when I thought about it, it shouldn't be a problem.  Most
reflectors on marks are 2-10 feet or so above the water, a fairly small
area to search.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA