From: "Dennis C. via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: "CnClist" <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 3:00:28 PM
Subject: Stus-List New searchlight for the boat

After a lot of research and querying the list, I finally bought a new
searchlight for Touche'.

I bought this one:

http://store.marinebeam.com/marinebeam-ultra-long-range-cree-rlt-illuminator/

It is pretty darn phenomenal. After using a pistol grip "Q-beam" style light
for years, it will take some getting used to. This light is a bit bigger and
heavier than a MagLite 2 D cell flashlight. The MarineBeam has 3 D cells.

The biggest difference is the narrow beam. They claim it has very little
"spillover" light to reflect off lifelines, deck, shrouds, bimini frames, etc.
I certainly remember having to hold the old searchlight outside the lifelines
in order to prevent being blinded by reflected light. When pointed forward, the
Q-beam did, indeed, generate night vision destroying reflected light from deck,
shrouds, etc.

While I haven't tried it on the boat yet, a quick test in the neighborhood
showed very positive results. It VERY clearly illuminated a stop sign 300 yards
away. The beam was, indeed, very narrow. (Fortunately, my neighborhood is
fairly peaceful. There are neighborhoods where I wouldn't do this.)

At first I was concerned about finding buoys and day beacons with such a narrow
beam but when I thought about it, it shouldn't be a problem. Most reflectors on
marks are 2-10 feet or so above the water, a fairly small area to search.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA