I think, well, at least in my case, it's a case of forgetting to reply
without all the previous messages. My (new) New Years Resolution is to be
better.
Here are a few ways to make sure you don't clutter up your emails to the
list. If you don't see your email client here, just Google it!:
Ed

Google mail:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017332/how-to-tame-messy-gmail-replies.html
http://blog.jgc.org/2012/11/the-greatest-google-mail-feature-you.html
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/PwFVVZtOOvE

Microsoft Office:
https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Change-how-the-original-message-ap
pears-in-replies-and-forwards-1207f4ea-f7cf-4cdf-9298-5982fa2e5e2f

Yahoo mail:
http://science.opposingviews.com/can-original-message-left-off-reply-messag
es-yahoo-mail-4210.html

Apple Mail (Mavericks):