Dennis:

Interesting observations on different boats and their performance on different points of sail. The listers should pay close attention to these posts before they go 'hook up' on a fellow C&C sailor.

Some years back, we were campaigning a 1985 C&C 33 MKII with beautiful new sails. At a regatta in East Bay, in the Bras d'Or Lakes, Cape Breton Island.......we found ourselves racing against, among other boats, a well sailed C&C 35 MKII from Shediac, New Brunswick.

The 33 MKII would take the 35 MKII to weather/beat, every time, and point a bit higher, but the 35MKII would take it all back on the reach and run. The course was an 8 mile beat, 2 mile reach, 8 mile run......we always lost a bit on the reach, however, we were always overtaken, after being ahead of this boat all race, about 3/4 of the way down the spin run....and there wasn't a darn thing we could do about it......it happened repeatedly. And we knew how to fly a spinnaker.

Rob Abbott
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2015-03-14 1:35 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List wrote:
I raced my 35-1 against a 35-3 CB in a 100 mile distance race two years running. First year was a 15 mile beat followed by 85 miles chute carry and broad reach. The 35-3 beat us by about 10 minutes corrected. They hung with us the entire race.

The second year was 15 miles close reaching and then 85 miles beating into 10-20 knots and 2-6 foot seas. We beat the 35-3 CB by 2 1/2 hours.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA