Rick, you probably have seen some of my earlier postings from earlier debates.
We have two small fleets around St. Michaels. Our Herring Island Sailing Fleet
uses a 15% rating adjustment for non spinnaker boats, with a 7.5% adjustment if
the boat has a cruising spinnaker (gennaker?) tacked to the bow - no poles
allowed. It has worked pretty well over a number of years.

Our Wednesday Night Fleet uses a flat 10% adjustment for non spinnaker boats -
white sails only.

We have been doing this for about 15 years - anything more 'fancy' creates
confusion. The Charleston fleet has a sliding scale dependent on the style of
boat, but when trying to explain it to the troops, all I got were rolling
eyeballs.

In each case, the skipper must make his/her decision before the course is
posted - no 'cheating' when it is an all reaching course or some other factor.
In most cases, it is because the wind is too strong, or the crew is too small.
In strong wind (inexperienced skipper or crew) some racers would not
participate if they couldn't get some relief for not flying a chute. However,
when it is blowing and the boat would be near or at hull speed without a chute,
the adjustment may be too large.

One caveat - we have series races - Herring Island has three four race series -
from May to the beginning of October and the Wednesday is one long series of up
to 22 races all summer - and both have throw-outs.

If you are trying this for a single race, you may want to come up with a
sliding scale - when it is blowing hard enough to have boats get up toward hull
speed without a chute, a 15% adjustment would be excessive. I have had races
where I was near 6 knots in my 30-1 with a poled out genoa and competitors were
fighting to keep their boats under the chutes and were only going a wee bit
faster. In medium to light conditions, 15% may not make it even.

Good luck - if you are only dealing with C&C boats (traditional ones, not the
new 30) you can probably choose something which will be equitable, when you get
into a fleet like ours (C&C 115 at PHRF 75 to Triton at 252...), then it is
tougher.

Gary Nylander
30-1 Maryland