Chuck;

The NC PHRF rule specify penalties for spinnaker poles longer than J. I think
it is -3 for SPL<105% of J and -6 of SPL>105%.

Years ago, when I was racing my 25 mostly in JAM races and doing a lot of RC
duties for my local club and a couple of charity regattas, my local PHRF
handicapper told me that there was no restriction on the length of a whisker
pole used in JAM racing. And the existence of a whisker pole would not change
the boats PHRF rating.  I can’t find that written down in the information on
the current NC PHRF website, but it makes logical sense.

No way could you use a whisker pole in place of a spin pole for spin racing -
not heavy enough, and in any event a pole longer than J would draw a rating
adjustment.  But using a spin pole limited to J is only a slight improvement
over using no pole at all in JAM racing. Plus restricting the pole would run
contrary to the idea that the boat is supposed to be properly equipped and in
race ready condition.

I have always carried both a legal spin pole and a whisker pole on both my
boats (plus a reaching strut on the 38).

Rick Brass

Washington, NC