My 38 mk2, Imzadi, has a 5’3” nominal draft (with cruising gear it’s probably
more like 5’6”) after shortening the keel and installing a torpedo bulb made by
Mars Metals. I took 10” off the end of the keel (800 pounds if I recall
correctly) and installed a bulb made by Mars that weighed around 1150 pounds.

Allen, Pamlico Sound may even be a bit more shallow then Albemarle Sound. The
deepest spot between here and the Atlantic is about 24 feet, and most is less
than that. And I plan to go to the Bahamas one of these days, so the original
6’1” draft just would not do.

I lost some pointing ability because of the change, probably one or two degrees
of apparent wind. I used to be able to sail up to about 29-30 apparent, now it
is in the 32-33 range. When I was racing seriously with a good deck sweeper
headsail, I could still outpoint a 35-2 that raced in the Pamlico Sailing Club.
He outran me downwind, so the two boats were pretty evenly matched.

I suspect that the end plate effect of my flattened torpedo bulb (it is about
twice as wide as it is high) has some of the same impact on the keel that your
wing has. Basically, I’m pretty happy with the modification. Particularly when
I am sailing in skinny water (like every time I go out).

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC