Ø  … Upgrade or downgrade my ground tackle?

The difference between upgrade or downgrade may have more to do with how and
where you use your ground tackle than the size/weight and type/brand of anchor.

Two books cover the art and science or anchoring very well.  Earl Hinz’s book:
The Complete book on Anchoring and Mooring is an excellent guide that I carry
onboard whenever I cruise outside of my home waters.  If you want to delve
deeper into the dynamic forces involved with anchoring William Van Dorn’s
Oceanography and Seamanship is the overkill read.

If a boat typically anchors in known waters with good holding and reliable
shelter (calm seas, low current etc.) using the “light” end of the anchor
manufacturer’s recommendations seems fine, especially on lower displacement
boats without a windlass.  To help sleep soundly at anchor, especially if the
weather conditions or holding ground are less than reliable, having the ability
to add chain or a kellet can significantly add to any anchor’s holding power.
Carrying and extra anchor or a different type (Danforth type especially the
Fortress brand make great back up anchors when storage is tight) gives some
flexibility if the primary anchor will not set.

Calypso displaces 24,000lbs and has a lot of windage, the anchor roller is
approx. 5 feet off the water, and she will buck enough in a rough anchorage to
add significantly to the dynamic load on the ground tackle.  I cruise in the
PNW where, especially in British Columbia common anchorages might be 30 to 60
feet deep with a 10 to 15 foot tidal range.  I went into overkill mode when
putting together Calypso’s primary ground tackle.  Our non-racing anchor is a
65lb CQR (20lbs heavier than the recommendation) with 90 feet of chain and 300
feet of rode.  We do have an oversized Lewmar windlass and the battery to
support it.  I carry a spare normal sized Danforth and a smaller Danforth as a
stern anchor.

When cruising in remote or unfamiliar areas I will add an anchor buoy to help
mark the anchor’s position and help in retrieving in case the anchor fouls.  I
use a wide range of scope lengths depending on many factors.  The PNW tidal
range, wind/sea/current conditions, how crowded the anchorage is, etc. all
factor into my scope guesstimate.  How well the anchor sets and holds confirms
how well I guessed.  We also stern tie quite often which deserves its own
discussion.

In sum, if you know the anchorage well, the weather is settled, and the anchor
set well I bet using the manufacturer’s recommendation will work out fine.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle