I didn't see the original post but it sounds like the prop walk is a
challenge .. it was for me too, and it continues to be sometimes (docked to
port on the windward side of a dock needing to back out). Anyway, it's
really useful sometimes .. I use the backing turn all the time! Lock the
wheel hard starboard and shift into reverse, throttle up, throttle down,
(aka "blip" the throttle) neutral, keep the wheel locked, shift into
forward, throttle up, throttle down, neutral, rinse and repeat and you can
do 360s in a boat length all day long without moving the wheel a point.
Just apply enough throttle to get very slight way on and then shift the
other way, keeping the wheel locked hard starboard. Works a treat. I've
actually used this when backing out to starboard was needed but wind would
be a challenge .. I'de back out to port and then do a backing turn to get
me pointed back the right way. Sometimes you don't have a spring line ..
(I'm on a med mooring and holding onto the mooring lines is both messy and
sketchy when there's risk of fouling the prop, I'm always short handed with
the admiral doing bow lines leaving me alone aft).

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto