Hi Rick & Bev,

Good advice, except the repack. Packing loads into the gland as segments, not as a spiral wound. The direction of shaft rotation has nothin' to do with it.

I found this very nice explanation to pass along. this guy does a bang-up job of presenting this task. Pages 2 & 3 is most interesting.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1
I suggest performing this task during a haulout and using the shaft near the propeller as your packing segment cutting guide. It's a very comfortable way to do it.

I didn't see it there but a properly adjusted stuffing box with flax & lanolin packing (the common old timer's marine stuff), will drip once per second at running speed and dry up when it cools.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1
Vancouver Island