John,

Take this for what it's worth.  I use a cordless drill a lot when working
on boats and around the house.  After my buddies and I soured on Dewalt
cordless drills due to short battery lives, I looked hard.  I'm a big fan
of Dewalt and Bosch corded tools but found their reviews a bit low.

My selection criteria included torque/power, weight and reliability.  The
weight was related to the fact that I frequently install hardware on
mastheads.  Holding a drill above my head while drilling down into a
masthead was a concern.

After a lot of research and reading reviews, I narrowed my selection down
to two brands, Metabo and Makita.  The Metabo is very pricey so my buddy
and I bought Makita 18V drills.  We have had excellent experience with
them.  I highly recommend the Makita 18V cordless drill.

I would suggest you look at 18 volt rather than 12 volt.  Someday you'll
need the extra power.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA