I've got a potential soft spot under the starboard genoa track.If it turns out
to be more than where the bolts go through, what's the layback ratio for laying
up the new glass?I'm figuring to try and cut out the skin of the deck with a
vibrating saw like D suggested.RonWild CheriC&C 30-1STL

      From: Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: CnClist <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Sunday, July 5, 2015 5:22 PM
 Subject: Re: Stus-List Damage to fibreglas

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Josh Muckley via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

I can't understand why anyone would use polyester OR vinylester resin for a
repair.

I do it quite often.  Vinylester resin works as well as epoxy and avoids the
compatibility issues.  It's also cheaper.  But like you said, if you're going
to grind it all out anyway, epoxy works fine.

I think the proportioned pumps make epoxy easier to use.  .  5 strokes of epoxy
resin, 5 strokes of epoxy hardener.  Almost foolproof.

Vinylester resin mixing takes more thought and technique.  I learned long ago,
when mixing MEKP into vinylester resin or gelcoat, go METRIC or use a scale.
Mixing 100 grams resin?  Add 1.5-2 ml MEKP.  Done.  The math is so much easier
than 19 drops per ounce or whatever using English measures.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA