From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Charlie
Nelson via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 11:10 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Stus-List Deck repair

I managed to crush a 2" x 4" portion of my aft deck on both sides recently.

I have cleaned out the balsa core and removed the fiberglass/gel coat pieces on
top and need to fill it in (its about 1 inch deep) and then, eventually, cover
it with the Kiwi Grip that
was on it pre-crushing.

I have done a lot of fiberglass construction with epoxy and thought I would mix
up a batch with some cotton fiber filler and just fill the hole.

Alternatively I could wet a bunch of fiberglass tape I have with epoxy and then
top this off with some thickened epoxy.

Then I read about gel coat repair and it says that this won't adhere to an
epoxy repair so I maybe I should fill the holes with thickened
gel coat so that eventually some Kiwi Grip will stick to it.

I need to fill it this weekend before the balsa core gets wet from rain, etc.
although I have put a thin coating of epoxy on the balsa to protect it
temporarily.

What advice does the list have for such a repair?

TIA,

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb