Thanks Andrew, Joel and Mike.  That Martec is the same as what I took off in
2002.   Never did make 7 kts with that, though do not recall ever trying.  The
tach did not work when I had the Martec so have no readings for comparison.

Am not by any stretch a mechanic.  According to the Yanmar manual the
“continuous rating” is 3400 with the “one hour rating” of 3600.  I usually
operate the engine ~ 2750-2800 which is just over 80% of continuous and 78% of
the one hour.  Have heard for years that 80% is the rule of thumb for diesels.
The 3200 delivery trip this spring was a one off aberration due to time
constraints.  Do not think I could even get to 3600 if I wanted to.  And from
what I have read the engine “should” be able to reach that, just not be
operated at that level for a period of time.

That said, still have some pitting on the prop blades and more vibration than
can be good.  Both signs of cavitation.  Even at 75% of continuous [2550] have
vibration.  Have had the engine mounts replaced after I replaced the prop shaft
and coupling in an effort to mitigate the vibration possibly due to a bent or
out of balance shaft.  Everything was aligned by a mechanic who has a good
customer base, so assume was done correctly / accurately.

A friend has a sister ship and easily gets to and cruises at 7+ kts and I can
barely make that only when really press to WOT and never do that.  He also has
a Flex prop though the “racing” version which has smaller blades.  Have asked
him to check his diameter and more importantly pitch.

All this has led me to conclude that my prop is over pitched.