 Subject: Re: Stus-List Howling rigging
 To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
 Cc: "Don Wagner" <don.wag...@verizon.net>
 Date: Saturday, August 1, 2015, 6:40 AM

 The vibrations and the singing noises that you have
 observed are
 classical  examples of vortex shedding. They were
 originally described by a
 German fluid dynamics engineer, Theodore von Karmann.
 If you are interested, do a search on “vortex
 shedding”. Wikipeda has a
 good description of the phenomena with some pix.  You might
 also search “
 von Karmann vortex street”

 I’ve experienced it in my rigging, and occasionally
 from my centerboard at
 certain wind speeds or boat speeds

 Don Wagner
 C&C 41 CB