My arrangement is like Russ’s: ¾” through hull (no scoop strainer on the
outside of the hull), ball valve, ¾” hose barb (I removed the 90 degree barb
and replaced it with a straight one when I did the engine swap in 2011), ¾”
hose to a Groco bronze strainer, then ¾” hose to the inlet on the raw water
pump.

No restrictions since I did the repower, though I have cleaner the basket in
the strainer once, I think.

I used the Groco strainer because the mechanic who was helping with the engine
( who is also a friend) had a used Groco with a cracked glass that he sold me
cheap. I thought the Groco would be a better choice because it was bigger and
stronger than the plastic Forespar strainer I had purchased for the
installation. Then I found out the price for the replacement glass and seal for
the Groco.

I still have the Forespar strainer out in the garage in a West Marine bag. It
is a ¾” version that looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forespar-906166-RAW-WATER-STRAINER-T-1-1-2IN-/361366339391?hash=item54231cbf3f

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forespar-906166-RAW-WATER-STRAINER-T-1-1-2IN-/361366339391?hash=item54231cbf3f&vxp=mtr>
 &vxp=mtr . I’ve never gotten around to getting the one I have listed on EBay.
If you are interested in using it for your boat, send $25 to Stu to support the
Photo Album, and send me your address off list. I’ll mail the strainer to you.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

1976 model Hull #047

Washington, NC